Avocent HMX Manual (PDF)
The Avocent HMX 2050 extender delivers uncompromised digital workstation extension across unlimited distances. Offering high quality crisp video and highly responsive mouse interaction, this network-based product also provides CD quality audio and seamless extension of USB mass storage devices. Media-intense applications such as video editing benefit from real-time user experience while mission critical media servers are securely maintained and managed. The HMX 2050 extension product consists of a transmitter that connects externally to each remote computer with dual DVI-D video connectors, and a receiver that connects at each user desk with dual DVI-I connectors.
The HMX 2050 extender provides access from dual video monitor workstations to user stations using point-to-point extension over the same IP connection. The high quality extension provided by the HMX 2050 product is ideal for users who need a rich media dual video display experience while using TCP/IP as the transport protocol. The solution operates within the boundaries of a typical IP network.
Avocent HMX2050 User Station Features:
- Digital Desktop Over IP - Provides high quality resolution video using cost-effective Ethernet cabling and networking devices. Delivers virtually unlimited extension distances
- Advanced Real-Time Hardware Compression - Frame-by-frame compression provides near-zero latency, with nearly lossless quality. Optimized to maintain 35 fps across two ports or 60 fps on one port. External hardware compression eliminates OS-specific software and drivers that consume precious server resources and introduce complexities that could cause servers to crash or hang
- DVI-I Video - DVI-D is supported at the server side. Digital and analog DVI-I is supported at the receiver side. Digital video delivers crisp image quality
- CD Quality Audio - Provides CD quality audio performance for users with computer generated audio applications
- USB 2.0 Devices - Supports the ever increasing deployment of USB only machines. USB keyboard and mouse are supported from end to end
- USB 2.0 Mass Storage - Allows remote enumeration of USB mass storage devices such as thumb drives, CD drives, and hard drives
- Physical Separation of User from Target Device - Provides increased security, simplified desktop support, and reduced downtime. Improves desktop environmental conditions such as noise, heat, and space
- Encryption of Network Data - Ensures full security of user data using 128 bit AES encryption
- Ease of Integration and Installation - Single wire between the desk and user station
The Avocent HMX Desktop Over IP Solution consists of: (all sold separately)
Avocent HMX2050 Application Diagram
Avocent HMX2050-001 Specifications:
|1.10 in (28 mm.)
|8.19 in (208 mm.)
|6.06 in. (154 cm.)
|2.09 lbs (0.95kg.)
|Desktop mounting metal case with external power supply
|32° F to 104° F (0° C to 40° C)
|-4° F to 122° F (-20° C to 50° C)
|100-250VAC @ 1.2A
|Stereo speaker socket
|100Mbps or 1Gbps
|SSL/AES 128 bit
|Keyboard, mouse & mass storage devices
|24 bit 44kHz
|Analog video up to 1600x1200@60fps, digital video up to 1920x1200@60fps, 100Mbps or 1Gbps network
|cUL, UL, CE, FCC15 Class A
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. Please contact you KVM Switches Online sales rep toll free at 1-877-586-6654 for ordering details.
Question: Does this KVM extender connect Sun machines?
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. Both the user station and Computer Interface Modules are operating system independent and will work with Sun systems.
Question: What USB spec for USB ports? USB 1.1? USB 2.0? USB 3.0?
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. The manufacturer has confirmed this device supports USB 2.0.
Question: Does this comes with rack kit? what is the model of the rack kit? how about the peripheral cables interfaced on the on userstation (HMX2050) will they be provided in the package as well?
Answer: The HMX 2050 User Station does not come with a Rackmount Kit. You have the option of standard rack mounting it using the RMK-45 Rackmount Kit (https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/rmk-45.html), or you can mount it to the rear of a flat panel monitor via a MMK-02 mounting plate accessory (https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/mmk-02.html).
The HMX 2050 uses the HMIQDHDD (https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/hmiqdhdd-001.html) as the Computer Interface on the server end - includes the kvm dongle. On the User end, you would simply plug in the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and audio cables (peripheral cables) directly into the HMX 2050. Reference this picture for connections: https://sep.turbifycdn.com/ty/cdn/kvm-switch/avocent-hmx2050-diagram.jpg
Please note, for best compatibility with different setups, you will need to provide your own CAT 5/6 cable between the HMX 2050 and the Server Interface, as well as between the Server Interface and the KVM dongle: https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/cat5cables.html
Question: When was the Avocent HMX2050 discontinued and what is the replacement?
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry,
The HMX2050-001 was discontinued on February 28th, 2017, with the last shipment date on May 28th, 2017. The HMX series has End-Of-Life support until May 28, 2022 (or last day of an extended warranty).
The HMX series was replaced by the Avocent HMX5000 and Avocent HMX6000 series. Alternatively, you may also be interested in the similar AdderLink Infinity series.
Please note however, HMX5000 and HMX6000 series units are not interchangeable with legacy HMX infrastructure. That being said, the HMX5200R-001 and the HMX6200R-001 receivers would be the closest direct replacements to the HMX2050.